Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]

Autore Messaggio
 Oggetto del messaggio: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
MessaggioInviato: dom ott 17, 2010 20:23 
Non connesso
Miglior Avatar Natalizio
 Profilo

Immagine

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is one of the longest poem ever written by the romantic poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, with the support of his best friend, another very important poet of the English Romanticism, William Wordsworth.
This poem takes the form of the ballad, albeit with many differences with the medieval ballad.

The ballad were published in the Lyrical Ballads (of Wordsworth & Coleridge), illustrated by Gustave Dorè.

The plot of The Rime is: an ancient mariner stops a wedding-guest and so starts telling him his "story". Then the mariner goes away and the man goes away too, to meditate on the ancient-man's words. (Ancient becouse old things has no more value, but the mariner is such a powerful supernatural man).
The poem becomes much more difficult to understand when the focus of the reader changes from the literary meanings to the rethorical meanings, the words used, the themes of the ballad and the symbolic meanings.
Romantic poets desired to show humans the powerful world of feelings, which is the true world and the true way of understanding the life herself. The way to overcame limits of human's understanding, based on the use of logic, is the Imagination. With it, men can go throught things, acquiring knowledge. The Imagination is a sort of Third-Eye which melts concealments of things true nature.
The English Romanticism was a strong reaction to the English society of 19th century, to the second industrial revolution, based on profit and exploytations, on cold logic and no morality.

The ballad is splitted in seven parts, so I'll put them into seven spoiler ^_^
Enjoy Coleridge :secchio:

Spoiler: Visualizza

Theare are also two readings on wikipedia ( I like the first =) )

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]